I was pleased last week to hear President Obama refer to the “Islamic State” entity in the Middle East as “ISIL.” Most official Obama Administration spokespersons and the US military use ISIL, but the American press refers to the group almost exclusively as “ISIS.” It might not seem important at first glance what one chooses to call the group, but in this case it is, and using ISIS has been a disservice to the news-consuming population.
Search TheBetterEditor Blog:
- ISIS or ISIL? What’s in a name? A lot if you’re paying attention. August 12, 2014
- Word Crimes: Weird Al gets it. Why don’t the grammar police? July 19, 2014
- What is an epicenter? Maybe not what you think. June 30, 2014
- If your eyes are on the ground, where did you put your boots? May 31, 2014
- Keeping your clocks in time or a connecting principle linked to the invisible…synchronicity or synchronization? April 27, 2014
Search the archive