Search TheBetterEditor Blog:
- Another so-called (or is it so called?) blog post March 28, 2017
- Banished but not Vanished February 24, 2017
- Word of the Year (WOTY) 2016: Part 2. This is not fake news! January 26, 2017
- Word of the Year (WOTY) 2016: Have some post-truth with your democracy sausage! December 23, 2016
- What is a demagogue? November 27, 2016
Search the archive
Monthly Archives: January 2012
“Do I want to use curb or curve?” Do you ever find yourself asking this question? It’s a sad fact that this problem is on many lists of “most common errors.” It shouldn’t be, but it’s true.
The world of language is an interesting place, full of twists and turns, ins and outs, peaks and valleys… The world of twitter is another interesting place, and when the two collide, things can get more interesting still.
There’s a tradesman’s van that I pass in my neighborhood many mornings. On the side are painted these words: Custom Interior Painting and Faux Professional Wallcoverings Faux professional wallcoverings? From the moment I first saw this it nagged at me. … Continue reading
Brackets, brackets, who’s got the brackets? Today’s post focuses on a more strict question of editing style than usual. It deals with the use of brackets [ ] , sometimes also known as square brackets in American English.